Creamy Fried Confetti Corn
- 8 bacon slices, chopped
- 4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (about 8 ears)
- 1 medium-size white onion, chopped
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Sauté corn, onion, and bell peppers in hot drippings in skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until tender. Add cream cheese and half-and-half, stirring until cream cheese melts. Stir in sugar, salt, and pepper. Top with bacon.
*Over the years as I have made this dish I've made a few alterations to the recipe.
1. I prepare about twice as much bacon as the recipe calls for.
2. I only saute' the onions and peppers (not the corn) in the bacon drippings. When they are tender I add the cream cheese and half-and-half. When the cream cheese has melted I stir the corn in. Then I stir about half of the bacon in.
3. I then transfer the entire mixture to a 9x13 baking dish & bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes.
5. The last 5 minutes of baking time I take it out and top it with the rest of the bacon.
**When I did this yesterday I didn't have time to stick it in the oven & also had to transport it to a party, so I put it in a crockpot (I have one that the lid seals/locks down) and added the bacon when we got to the party.